Injured workers who want to obtain the maximum compensation available for their work-related injury are wise to schedule a meeting with an Oklahoma workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible following the injury. In addition to the fact that it is free, your initial consultation with a workers’ comp lawyer can provide you with a good idea of how strong (or weak) your claim for benefits is and how the process works in Oklahoma.
In preparing for that initial consultation, you should gather the following documents and materials that will help an attorney assess the validity of your claim:
- Date and summary of your workplace injury, including any photographs of the injury;
- Your employment records that show hire date, position, and job duties;
- Your wage history to help the attorney give you a good idea of what you can expect to collect in benefits if your claim is approved;
- The name and contact information of who received notice of your injury and the date the notice was given;
- A copy of the written notice that was provided to your employer;
- The name and address of where you received treatment for your injury;
- Contact information for your treating physician;
- Dates of treatment;
- Medical records related to your treatment and diagnosis;
- Medical bills incurred to date for treatment;
- The contact information for any eyewitnesses who saw the accident;
- Copies of any accident reports created by your employer; and
- Emails or letters between you and your employer about your injury claim.
Your initial consultation will also give you the opportunity to ask questions about the attorney, such as:
- What percentage of your practice is dedicated to workers’ compensation claims?
- Have you handled workers’ comp claims for injuries similar to mine?
- What is your success rate on workers’ comp cases?
- Will you be handling my case personally?
- How are you compensated for taking my case?
- How often do you have to take workers’ comp cases to a hearing or trial?
- How do I contact you with questions about my case?
Workers’ compensation cases are complex, and your initial consultation with an Oklahoma workers’ comp attorney will help you understand what filing a claim entails and what you should expect in terms of timing and compensation.
Have you been injured at work? If so, seek legal representation from the attorneys at Armstrong & Vaught, P.L.C. at once. Our attorneys understand how work injuries can impact your life, which is why we will work tirelessly to ensure you are fully compensated through the workers’ compensation system. Call us now at 918-582-2500, toll-free at (800) 722-8880, or contact us online for a free consultation with a skilled attorney.