Chris Vaught was born in Cumberland, Maryland and initially attended Connors State College in Warner, Oklahoma.
After transferring to Northeastern State University, he graduated, summa cum laude, with a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. He then received his Juris Doctor degree, with honors, from the University of Tulsa College of Law.
Mr. Vaught is licensed to practice law before all courts and tribunals in the state of Oklahoma, and represents employees in all manner of discrimination claims, civil rights violations, Family and Medical Leave Act violations, workers’ compensation retaliation claims, and wage and hour disputes. Mr. Vaught also accepts cases involving fraud against the government, generally referred to as qui tam or False Claims Act cases.
Mr. Vaught is also an avid Jimmy Buffet fan who has created his own tropical paradise in Tulsa by transplanting palm trees into a climate where they really should not exist.
Areas of Practice
- Workers Compensation Retaliation
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (race, age, gender, national origin, and religious discrimination)
- Sexual Harassment
- Civil Rights
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- Department of Labor / OSHA anti-retaliation provisions (AIR21, STAA)
- Wage and Hour violations under state and federal law (unpaid overtime, misclassification claims)
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Civil False Claims Act / qui tam
- Homeowner Association law
- Litigation & Appeals
- Employment Law – Employee
- University of Tulsa College of Law, Juris Doctor 2003
- Northeastern State University, 2000, Bachelors in Criminal Justice / Paralegal option
- Oklahoma Super Lawyers – Employment Litigation, 2020–Present
- Oklahoma Super Lawyers, Rising Star – Employment Litigation / Plaintiff, 2009–2016
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40
- National Trial Lawyers, Civil Plaintiff – Top 100
- Martindale Hubble AV Preeminent Rating, 2015–Present
- Martindale Hubble AV Preeminent: Judicial Edition, 2016–Present
- 2021 Best Lawyers in America
- Smith v. Cochran, United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 339 F.3d 1205 (10th Cir. 2003) (co-wrote appellate brief while in law school).
- Borchert v. The State of Oklahoma, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma, 2006 WL 228913 (N.D. Okla.).
- Stehm v. The Nordam Group, Inc., Court of Civil Appeals of Oklahoma, 2007 OK CIV APP 94, 170 P.3d 546.
- Sharp v. Eastern Oklahoma Orthopedic Center, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma, 2009 WL 499375 (N.D. Okla.).
- Banda v. Baptist Village Retirement Communities of Oklahoma, Inc., U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma, 2009 WL 5216927 (N.D. Okla.).
- Hamrick v. State of Oklahoma, ex rel. Office of Chief Medical Examiner, Oklahoma Supreme Court, 2011 OK 60, 258 P.3d 509.
- Hale v. Spears Wrecker Service, LLC, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma, 2011 WL 1930670 (N.D. Okla.).
- VanSkyock v. Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc., U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma, 2012 WL 1410268 (N.D. Okla.)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Member
- Tulsa County Bar Association, Member
- Oklahoma Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- Northern and Eastern Oklahoma Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Treasurer (2020/2021)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma Advisory Committee, Subcommittee on Local Civil Rules, 2017–Present