Commercial Truck Accidents: Can You Sue?

Posted by: Brookside Admin

Driving around town, chances are that you see commercial trucks on a daily basis. You probably also see car accidents more than you would really like to as well. While it can be a daunting task to be in any type of auto accident, most people know are unsure what to do if you are involved in one. However, when you are involved in an accident with a commercial truck, you may really be wondering what to do.

If you are involved in an accident where a commercial truck hits your car, what do you do? Do you get their insurance? Do you wait for the police? How do you handle dealing with the business that they are driving for? Well, before you worry too much, here are some potential ways that you can recover legally after being hit by a commercial truck:

The Company Who Owns The Truck

If the commercial truck that hit you was from a large commercial company, such as UPS or FedEx, then one solution to recover legally is to sue to the commercial company. Commercial companies are held liable for the trucks in their fleet, and any accidents they may have caused, as long as the following applies: the driver of the truck was an employee of the commercial company and the driver was acting within the scope of employment. The driver could be an independent contractor or could have been on lunch or break when the accident occurred, but chances are that even then the company will be held partially liable for the accident if the truck hit you.

The Driver And The Company

Even if you sue the commercial company or they are found not liable, you still have the ability to sue the driver of the truck. You could recover lost wages, medical bills, and other costs associated with the accident if the driver is at fault. If you sue both the commercial company and the driver, you stand a higher chance of being compensated.

Hit And Run

If you were involved in a hit and run, or if your vehicle was hit while parked, you can still recover legally even if you are not sure which commercial company the truck works for. An experienced personal injury attorney can still file a lawsuit if you do not know who hit you, and they can also investigate to help find the driver and what commercial company they worked for. In most states, including Oklahoma, if a commercial driver hits a car and causes damage, it is illegal for them to leave the scene. These hit and run laws can help you by proving that the commercial driver was acting negligently and help you recover legally faster.

If you, a friend, or family member has been injured in an auto accident with a commercial truck, contact our offices today for a free consultation at (918) 582 – 2500. We can help you get back on the road to recovery.

Other great information articles on our site:

What Happens After A Deposition?

How Social Media Can Damage A Case