In Oklahoma, a majority (approximately 70%) of first-time workers’ compensation claims are denied, leaving workers to face a complex appeals system. While you can try to navigate the system on your own, having an experienced Oklahoma workers’ compensation attorney work for you gives you a better chance of getting the benefits you deserve.
Supporting your case
An attorney with experience in dealing with the Oklahoma workers’ comp appeals process knows how to build a strong case to support your claim for benefits. Your attorney can help develop medical evidence by:
- Gathering all your medical records from various doctors
- Obtaining medical opinions from your doctor(s) and other experts if necessary
- Recommending or arranging for treatment with specialists if indicated for your type of injury
- Conduct interviews (depositions) with medical experts to support your case
- Gather testimony from vocational experts about the physical demands of your job
- Search for any evidence that your employer has a poor safety record or does not conduct proper training
- Represent you when you are asked to answer questions at a deposition
Negotiating settlement agreements
One critical area where you need your attorney’s expertise is in negotiating a settlement with your employer’s insurance company. Your attorney will be able to estimate the value of your case (e.g., the amount of benefits you should receive) based on a number of factors, including:
- The scope of your injuries and limitations to your daily activities
- Past, current, and future medical expenses
- Whether you will suffer a permanent disability due to your injury
- Whether you are owed any wage loss benefits
In addition, your attorney will be able to ensure your settlement agreement is properly structured to avoid any negative impact down the road. For example, if you are applying for or receiving Social Security disability benefits, there is a workers’ compensation offset that could cost you hundreds of dollars in benefits every month if your settlement agreement is not properly designed to avoid it.
Have you been injured at work? Don’t hesitate to contact the experienced attorneys at Armstrong & Vaught, P.L.C. Let our team stand by your side throughout the workers’ compensation claim process to ensure you are fully compensated for your work-related injuries. Call us now at 918-582-2500, toll-free at (800) 722-8880, or contact us online for a free consultation with a skilled attorney.