How To Legally Request An Accommodation At Work

Posted by: Brookside Admin

It does not matter if you have a disability, a religious practice, or other protected need for an accommodation, you do need to request it from your employer. However, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about requesting the accommodation that you would like. Under the federal employment discrimination laws, your employer can be required to allow a reasonable accommodation that does not create an undue hardship on the business or it’s finances. Accommodations can include anything from a schedule change or modification to modified equipment to policy changes and more.

Curious how to legally request an accommodation at work? Here are some general steps to take to ensure that you request an accommodation the correct way:

Notification – First, you need to notify your employer about the need for an accommodation. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission states that employees can make their request for accommodation by stating it in “plain English” they do not have to use the exact phrase “reasonable accommodation.” So start by letting your employer know that you do need an accommodation.

Respond To Requests – If you are requesting a disability-related accommodation, your employer may request medical information to help verify the needs for an accommodation. The EEOC states when a disability is not obvious or known, then the employer has the right to ask for documentation about the disability. If you are requesting an accommodation for religious reasons, your employer may ask for more information if they have an objective reason to question the religious nature or sincerity of the accommodation.

Attorney Consultation – If you request an accommodation and it is denied, results in you losing your job, or any other adverse reaction, you may need to schedule a consultation with an experienced attorney. You need to find an attorney who is experienced with employee’s rights and enforcing them, such as the attorneys here at Armstrong & Vaught.

EEOC Complaints – In most cases, you may have to file an EEOC complaint. From there, the EEOC will determine the status of your claim and your right to sue your employer.

If you have questions about your accommodations at work, or the denial of them, please call us today for a free consultation at (918) 582 – 2500. Our experienced employment law attorneys can help you every step of the way.

More great articles on our site:

FAQ: Can I Still Have A Workers Compensation Claim If I Quit Or Get Fired?

What Are The Risks Of Social Media When Applying For A Job?